Sick Building Syndrome in Vastu Shastra
According to Vastu Shastra, Sick Building Syndrome is a situation in which occupants of a particular building experience acute health problems but no specific illness or cause can be identified.
There are various reasons for Sick Building Syndrome like lack of natural sunlight, poor ventilation, negative radiations and energies, poor structural design and unwise planning. We have to keep in mind that both internal and external environment can have a strong impact on our mental and physical health.
Causes of Sick Building Syndrome
- Poor indoor air quality.
- Lack of sunlight and proper ventilation.
- Noise pollution.
- Construction bypassing basic Vastu principles.
- Unhealthy building material with multiple chemical sensitivity.
- Geopathic stress and poor surroundings.
- Unhealthy internal environment.
- Sun and seasonal affective disorder.
- Extreme climatic conditions.
- Electromagnetic radiations.
Symptoms of Sick Building Syndrome
- Burning, watering eyes and nose.
- Depression and headaches.
- Hair loss and dry and itchy skin.
- Chronic fatigue and irritability.
- Pregnancy problems and miscarriages.
- Weight gain
Types of Syndrome
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
This is a mood disorder in which people experience depressive symptoms due to the lack of sunlight during winters.
Symptoms of Winter SAD
- Lack of energy
- Difficulty in concentration
- Depression and pessimistic feelings
- Morning sickness
- The tendency to oversleep and overeating
- Carving for carbohydrates and sweets
- Sudden weight gain
Symptoms of Summer SAD:-
- Decreased appetite and weight loss
- Intense sadness and social withdrawal
There are many factors affecting Sick Building Syndrome. Sun is one of the most important factors as it is considered as the God of health. Our life completely depends upon it as there is no life possible without the Sun.
As we all know that when sunlight penetrates our skin, vitamin D is produced in our body which is a very necessary ingredient for the absorption of calcium and minerals from the diet. Vitamin D prevents arthritis, high blood pressure, cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and infections. An adequate level of proper sunlight can positively alter the mood and even prevent depression also
How to Avoid Sick Building Syndrome
One of the best ways to avoid Sick Building Syndrome is to design and construct a building with good air quality which is good for occupant’s health.
But in the case of old buildings, you should conduct air quality test regularly.Treatments such as air purifiers, improved ventilation, or removing the source of the contaminant can be very helpful in getting a good quality of fresh and clean air. Vastu Shastra also suggests that everybody needs to expose their skin to natural sunlight for a few minutes each day.
This blog is written by famous Vastu Consultant Mrs Sangeeta Sarin, for any query related to vastu contact her on [email protected]
Read Inspirational Story of Bill Gates – Principle Founder Microsoft Corporation